|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cardamom Chocolate Lava Cake

I was complaining to my mom recently about how expensive cardamom is. The next thing I knew, I got a package in the mail from her. It was a little ziploc bag of cardamom. I'm glad no one in the postal service thought it was drugs haha! I was so excited to see that little baggy of ground spice. It smelled absolutely amazing; like a freshly peeled orange.

The recipe I had originally intended to use the cardamom in was a chicken dish. However, I've got plenty to last me quite a while. So I took to the web searching for inspiration for a new recipe. One thing I noticed quickly was that cardamom pairs well with chocolate. A few sparks later and...

Cardamom Chocolate Lava Cake
5 tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz semi sweet chocolate
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar

  • Grease 2 medium ramekins (or 4 small ramekins) and sprinkle with granulated sugar to prevent sticking.
  • Combine the butter, chocolate, and cardamom in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until all of the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. You may need to pop it back in the microwave for about 10 seconds to completely melt the chocolate.
  • Add the eggs and vanilla to the chocolate mixture. Then add the flour and powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth.
  • Pour the batter into the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet for easier handling.
  • Bake at 400° F for 12 - 15 minutes.
Off into the oven they go!

  • Remove from oven, the centers will still be very jiggly. That's ok. It's molten lava cake after all!
  • Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes.
  • Run your knife along the edges of the cakes. Then turn upside down onto a plate.
  • Devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment