|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

We had strawberry shortcake for dessert last night.  I love making this with my mom's buttermilk drop biscuits.  It reminds me of my childhood... and it's delicious!  The biscuits are great by themselves as well or even with some extra little goodies added to them.

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

2 C Flour
4 Tsp Baking powder
½ Tsp Baking soda
¾ Tsp Salt
4 Tbsp Melted butter
1 C Buttermilk
  • Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Mix in the melted butter and butter milk until just combined. You definitely don't want to over-stir this kind of recipe.
  • Drop the biscuits in large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also drop them into a round cake pan, then cut them after they come out of the oven.
  • Bake at 375° F for 15 minutes.

Variations:

Cheddar Biscuits: add ¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and one teaspoon of parsley to the dry ingredients before adding the wet. Only add 3 tbsp of melted butter to the biscuit dough. Reserve the last tablespoon to brush on top of biscuits after they come out of the oven.

Strawberry Shortcake: Slice one pint of strawberries and toss with one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of orange juice, and two tablespoons of sugar.  Place a biscuit in a bowl; top with strawberries and whipped cream.

Cheesy Olive Biscuits: take ¼ cup black olives and ¼ cup kalamata olives and finely chop.  Add to the biscuit dough along with ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Note: Ok, so I think it's been well established at this point that I'm a cheater.  And I've gotta fess up.  I actually use powdered buttermilk in this recipe.  For me, it's so much easier because the shelf life is around 2 years so I can have it hanging around whenever I need it.  I just add 4 tablespoons of the powder directly to the other dry ingredients.  Then I add one cup of water (instead of the cup of buttermilk, just to be clear).

No comments:

Post a Comment