|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Fried Squash

Fried squash is another southern treat that I was sadly deprived of until I moved to Charlotte. Apparently it's a big deal around here. Southerners love their fried squash. Almost as much as fried pickles haha! I've seen some people use a batter on their squash and some people bread it. I like it both ways, but today I decided to bread it. And... since it's swim suit season, I'll decided to try my hand at some "Un-fried" Squash. They both came out excellent if I do say so myself!


Fried Squash
Makes: 4 servings

2 medium summer squash
2 cups plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried Italian herb mix
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 cup flour
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
canola oil for frying


  • Fill a stainless steel fry pan with 1" of oil and preheat over medium-medium-high.
  • Rinse the summer squash and pat them dry. Then cut them into 1/4" slices. Set aside.
  • Mix together the bread crumbs, salt, garlic, herbs, and cayenne pepper.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
  • Dip the squash into the flour, then the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture.
  • Once all of the slices of squash are coated in bread crumbs, lay them out in a single layer on a plate and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. This will allow the breading to harden a little bit and prevent cracking when you fry it.
  • Fry the squash in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Once the squash is golden brown, about 3 - 4 minutes per side, remove from the oil and allow to drain.
  • Serve with dipping sauce such as marinara.

No comments:

Post a Comment