|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Verte Montagne Cupcakes

Time for dessert! To be honest, I'm not much of a baker. Matt is a much better baker than me. But, I figured I need to at least have some dessert recipes on my blog. So here we go!

My inspiration came from my love of Andes candies. I thought, "wouldn't that be delicious to have a cupcake stuffed with Andes?" Yes! It would! If you're one of those weirdos who don't like chocolate and mint, you should turn around and go back to where you came from. We don't take kindly to folks like you around here.

Truth be told, I'm not totally thrilled with how these came out. The Andes ended up sinking to the bottom. I may try this again and stuff the candy into the cupcake after it has been baked. I'll let you know how that goes.


Verte Montagne Cupcakes
Makes: 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 package boxed cake mix
eggs
water
vegetable or canola oil
8.5 oz package of Andes chocolate and mint candy

Frosting:
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make the cupcakes:
  • Mix the cake batter according to the directions on the package. Mine called for 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cups water, and 1/2 cup oil. Yours might be a little different. I know, I know - boxed cake mix! I told you I'm not a great baker ha!
  • Unwrap the Andes candies. Then cut each in half, two at a time, making four squares.



  •  Now stack the four squares.

  • Now insert the stack into each cupcake sideways.

  • Bake the cupcakes according to the directions. Mine took 18 minutes at 325° F. To test when the cupcakes are done, you'll need to gently tap the top of a cupcake. If it bounces right back then it's done. The toothpick test won't work with these cupcakes because the melted chocolate in the center will make it seem like they are still wet in the center. You don't want to overcook your cupcakes - that will make them dry.
  • Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting:
  • Resist the temptation to stick the butter in the microwave to soften it. I'm the biggest offender of this rule but this particular recipe really won't work out if you do it that way. You've got to just let the butter sit on the counter for about an hour to let it soften.
  • Sift together the sugar, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
  • Whip the butter in a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) on medium for about two minutes until it is light and fluffy.
  • Add the sugar and cocoa mixture, mixing on slow. Mix for about one minute until it is completely combined and a dry crumbly texture.
  • Add the vanilla, mint, and heavy cream.
  • Mix on high speed another two minutes until the frosting is smooth and light and fluffy.
  • If the frosting seems too thin, add some more sugar. If the frosting seems too thick, add some more heavy cream.
  • Frost the cupcakes with an off-set spatula or with a piping bag fitted with a star tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment