|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Asian Wings Two Ways

Matt and I love chicken wings. Whenever we eat them, I'll make half with buffalo sauce and half with some other kind of sauce. Because you can't make wings without at least some of them being buffalo style. I'm pretty sure that's sacrilege. The "other" half of the wings are usually something sweet like sweet chili, teriyaki, barbecue, etc. A few nights ago I was in the mood to try making my own sauce. So, I thought I'd give it a try!

The Wings:
I actually prefer to bake my wings. Which may seem weird, but I've actually found that they come out crispier when I bake them versus deep frying them.

15 chicken wings cut into separate wingettes and drumettes (30 pieces total)
Cooking spray

  • Preheat oven to 375° F.
  • Lay chicken wings in a single layer on a baking sheet then spray with a very thin layer of cooking spray. This will help make the wings crispy.
  • Bake for 45 minutes.
If you're unfamiliar with separating chicken wings, here's a quick tutorial you can watch: How to Cut & Separate Chicken Wings into Sections for Buffalo Wings
Bonus: the guy's glasses are pretty epic. Enjoy.

Chinese Five Spice Wings:
These are actually so simple I'm almost embarrassed to call it a recipe. It's really more of an idea for a flavor combination than it is a recipe. Anyway, here you go:

1/2 Tsp Chinese Five Spice
10 Chicken wings (5 wingettes, 5 drumettes)

  • In a large bowl, toss the cooked wings in Chinese Five Spice as soon as they come out of the oven.
  • There is no second step. I just wanted another bullet point.
  • I guess the next step could be to eat them. Yes. Eat them. Eaaat themmmmm.



Hoisin Glazed Wings:
If you've never had hoisin sauce, it's sometimes referred to as Chinese barbecue sauce. Though it tastes nothing like barbecue sauce. But you can use it in the same applications and it's relatively sweet. You can find it almost anywhere in the Asian section. I got mine at Walmart.

2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
10 Chicken wings (5 wingettes, 5 drumettes)



  • In a large bowl, whisk together the Hoisin, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and honey.
  • Toss the wings in the sauce as soon as they come out of the oven.
  • Return the wings to the baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes.


What to do with the other 10 chicken wings? Toss them in buffalo sauce!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment