|           HOME           |           RECIPES           |           TIPS & TRICKS           |          

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chalupas

Matt and I love Chalupas from Taco Bell. There, I said it. 

We're not big on fast food but for some reason those darn chalupas are so addictive! Whenever I eat something really yummy at a restaurant, I always try to recreate it at home. Some attempts are more successful than others. Before I make my first attempt, I'll usually search the web for the copy-cat recipes that already exist - no need to reinvent the wheel, right?! I usually read the comments which reveal how true to the original the recipe really is. When I did my initial Google search for chalupas, I realized the web is sadly lacking in any decent recipes. So, here's my attempt at a Chalupa. It's not in the same shape as you would find at Taco Bell and the shell tastes a little different. But, mine tastes better if I do say so myself - ahem! Tell me what you think!



Chalupas:
For the shell:
I actually stole this flour tortilla recipe from Smells Like Home. However, instead of cooking them in a fry pan, I deep fried them with the deep fryer on 375° F for about 2 minutes on each side. They will puff up super huge but don't worry. Once you take them out, they'll flatten out. Once the shells are golden brown, remove them from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel before topping them.

For the topping:
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced
4 green onions, chopped
Salsa con queso


  • Brown the ground beef in a skillet over high heat until cooked through and no longer pink.
  • Drain the ground beef, return to the pan, then mix in the taco seasoning according to the directions on the package.
  • Top the chalupa shell with desired combination of taco meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, green onions, salsa con queso, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment